Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Hangin' at the Laemmle!

The first time I sold a painting to an unknown patron was waaaayyy back in 1988. I was living near Venice beach at the time and somehow I discovered that the Laemmle Theater in Santa Monica needed art for their lobby.  I was still learning the craft of painting and figuring out the pricing of my work, framing it, and of course hanging it.  So I really couldn't believe it when they said yes. After all, this would be the first impression of their guests as they arrived to see a movie!  It was a cool and classy place where they showed arthouse and foreign movies. In fact, that's probably how I found out they supported local artists like me.  I loved seeing movies there myself.

Actually, I can't even believe that I had the guts to ask if I could exhibit my art in the first place. But, I've always been somewhat naive about reality vs. ideality.  I have no filter when it comes to being inquisitive. Ideas pop into my head and before I have time to talk myself out of following through I act on them. So I guess that would make me impulsive as well.  As another example:  A few years after exhibiting at the Laemmle, around 1990, I walked into Oliver Stone's production office in Santa Monica and asked to speak to the Art Director about working on his next movie, 'The Doors'.  Can you believe, within a week I was hired to do all of the sketches in that movie attributed to Jim Morrison who enjoyed doodling and writing poetry in his notebooks.  I sketched over 100 images of which they used two close-ups in the movie. I also painted signs & created some period cereal boxes for the set decorating dept.

But, I totally digress!  Back to the Laemmle...

I would ride my bike to the theater to see if anyone purchased my art. Honestly though, I didn't think anyone would. Much of my art was spooky, weird... and amateurish. As I stated earlier I was just starting out.

But, then 'it' happened!

The first time I sold a painting I was more confused than happy. There was an empty space on the wall so I approached the manager and asked if they had taken down one of my paintings (maybe it was offensive or it spooked somebody).  But, that's when he handed me a check. Someone had actually bought one and taken it with them!  And a week or so later it happened again!

Soon my weekly ritual was to ride my bike down to the theater to look for empty spaces on the wall. And nearly every time I visited the theater there would be a check waiting for me! It was CRAZY! And, I must admit, it's a feeling that has never gone away. Each time I sell a painting (and I've sold over 200 by now) it's like the first sale!  In fact, I think I appreciate it even more now.

I found out recently that a Laemmle Theater is in the works in Santa Clarita (near our home).  For obvious reasons I have a positive association with this theater chain!

The Laemmle Theater in Santa Monica helped to give me the confidence to keep going with my art! They allowed me to exhibit there for nearly four months! And while there I sold about twenty paintings all together!  How I wish I had kept the names and contact information of those who purchased my art.  I would've loved to have thanked them.

Each and every one of us has something unique to create - to give - to sell - or to express.  I hope that if you're reading this, it inspires you to stay naive - inquisitive and impulsive too! Move quickly before your shadow can catch up with you and cast a dark cloud on your dreams!

Me with my art at the Laemmle Theater in Santa Monica - 1988

No comments:

Post a Comment